[PW] "Explore, Dream, Discover" Quote (Quotation Query #746)

Ellen Parker eaglesclaw at gmail.com
Sun May 8 16:02:49 PDT 2016

Dear Mr. Shapiro,

An H. Jackson Brown who was less than one year old, appears in the 1940
Federal Census, Civil District 7, Davidson, Tennessee with his mother,
Sarah Frances Brown, age 26 and his father, Horace Jackson Brown, age 28.
Both mother and father list their birthplace as Tennessee.

Source:
"United States Census, 1940," database with images, FamilySearch(
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K44K-D3G : accessed 8 May 2016),
Horace Jackson Brown in household of Horace Jackson Brown, Civil District
7, Davidson, Tennessee, United States; citing enumeration district (ED)
19-26B, sheet 10A, family 229, NARA digital publication T627 (Washington,
D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 2012), roll 3885.

Hope this helps!

Kindest regards.

Ellen Parker, semi-retired reference librarian. who still very much enjoys
the thrill of the hunt.

On Sun, May 8, 2016 at 4:48 PM, Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu> wrote:

> The following is a very popular quote routinely misattributed to Mark
> Twain:
>
> "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you
> didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away
> from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
> Discover."
>
> Garson O'Toole, in a characteristically brilliant article on his great
> quoteinvestigator.com website, has traced this quote back to H. Jackson
> Brown, Jr.'s book P.S. I Love You (1990).  Brown credited it to his mother.
>
> Can anyone help me determine the name of Brown's mother and her
> birth/death dates?
>
> Fred Shapiro

Ellen