[PW] Kenneth Olsen Computer Quote (Quotation Query #745)

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at yale.edu
Sun May 8 08:53:02 PDT 2016

Kenneth H. Olsen of the DEC Corporation is often credited with saying something like "There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home" in a speech to the World Future Society in Boston in 1977.  Often it is said that Olsen was quoted to this effect in Time Magazine in 1977.

I can find no contemporaneous or near-contemporaneous documentation for Olsen having said this in 1977, nor have I found it quoted anywhere near 1977 in Time Magazine.  I would welcome any pre-1984 documentation for the quote, or any solid leads to verification of the quote.

Fred Shapiro