[PW] Battle of the Bulge Quote (Quotation Query #741)

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Sun May 1 10:09:57 PDT 2016

Here is a slightly earlier citation that attributed the saying to an
anonymous "beaten up little GI Joe" during the Battle of Bastogne.

Date: February 10, 1945
Newspaper: The Boston Herald
Newspaper Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Article: Many Subjects Deserve Notice
Article Subtitle: Snow, Black Hat, Fund, USO, Luzon, Little Gl Joe and Tenor
Byline: Bill Cunningham
Quote Page 7, Column 1
Database: GenealogyBank

[Begin excerpt; check for OCR and other errors in cite and text]
Via Stuart Rand, I have seen a letter from Maj. Norman R. S. Thompson
of Newton Center, who was on duty with the famous American group that
stood its ground against Von Rundstedt at Bastogne. The Major
nominates for the list of historic US battle sayings the cry of "a
beaten up little GI Joe" in the midst of that bitter seal-off when
things looked toughest for the Yanks, "So they've got us surrounded!
The poor bastards!" . . .
[End excerpt]

Garson