[PW] Occitan (was: Marshall McCluhan quote)

T.F. Mills phasco at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 27 10:48:42 PDT 2016

On 26 Apr 2016 at 10:32, John Cowan wrote:

> It has always been the case that most Occitan-speakers weren't literate
> in Occitan, partly because the written language is pretty remote from
> the spoken varieties, partly because they were never taught it.
> Even if they could puzzle it out (analogies to French are downright
> misleading), writing it would be out of the question.

Interesting!  At least one Tintin title has been translated into Occitan, and it was among the
first to be so treated among francophonia's 75 regional languages, so I always assumed there
was a ready audience for it.  I'd be curious how much in turn Tintin spurred Occitan study.  I
thought I had the title in my extensive Tintin library, but I can't find it.  (I know I saw it in a Paris
bookstore in 1989, and I thought I bought it.)  I do have one in Basque and another in
Bernerdeutsch.

T.F. Mills
(Colorado, USA)