[PW] Marshall McCluhan quote

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Wed Apr 20 19:42:42 PDT 2016

Thomas Fuller scripsit:

> Far be it from me to dispute John's point -- if the List history is any
> guide, he's usually right as rain -- but I question his citing Graham Robb
> as a reliable historical source.

I didn't know that about Robb, and I'm glad to learn it.  But in this
case, I think his general thesis is clearly right.  There is plenty of
documentary and even oral testimony about the non-French languages of
France: there are people still living whose grandparents (who were
by no means all rural) still spoke Occitan every day and pretty much
all day, although of course their written language was entirely French.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
I suggest you solicit aid of my followers or learn the difficult art
of mud-breathing.  --Great-Souled Sam