[PW] Marshall McCluhan quote

Thomas Fuller tdruryfuller at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 20:01:51 PDT 2016

The eminently wise John Cowan wrote:

"He's wrong.  It wasn't until after the Revolution that the whole idea
that everyone in France should speak (never mind read and write) French
began to catch on, and it wasn't until the 19C and early 20C that it
actually happened.  Before that, France was as linguistically diverse
as Italy or Germany.  See Graham Robb's book _The Discovery Of France_."

Far be it from me to dispute John's point -- if the List history is any
guide, he's usually right as rain -- but I question his citing Graham Robb
as a reliable historical source.  Robb dwells outside the mainstream
historical establishment and his books are, in my experience, far-fetched
and full of wistful thinking.  I made it about 100 pages through _The
Ancient Paths_ before throwing it across the room.  The man is determined
to find what he is looking for, and doesn't seem interested in any
scholarly work that has already examined his materials and reached
different and more sensible conclusions.

-- Tom

"Alas, to wear the mantle of Galileo it is not enough that you be
persecuted by an unkind establishment.  You must also be right."

— *Robert Park, speaking at an American Physical Society meeting*