[PW] ?Marshall McLuhan quote

S M Colowick januarye at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 10:40:14 PDT 2016

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 9:54 AM, John Henderson <jhenderson at ithaca.edu> wrote:

> If Marshall McLuhan really did say or write "America is the only country ever founded on the printed word," why can't I find the original source?

Google Books tells me that Harry Golden's 1962 book So Long As You're
Healthy has a few pages about McLuhan, apparently reviewing a speech
that he gave. A snippet says, "Dr. McLuhan offered that the United
States is the only country founded on literacy--on the Gutenberg
press."

That same year (1962) McLuhan wrote The Gutenberg Galaxy, "a
pioneering study in the fields of oral culture, print culture,
cultural studies, and media ecology" (per Wikipedia). It wouldn't
surprise me if some version of this idea appears in that book, but I
haven't found it by searching the preview version available.