[PW] History of the "Moose-Anana" Query

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Wed Apr 13 12:48:24 PDT 2016

On 4/13/2016 8:01 AM, T.F. Mills wrote:
> On 11 Apr 2016 at 7:00, Luke Owens wrote:
>

>> I have no idea when the banana was first sold in the US, but it
>> couldn't be earlier than that. [1933]

In the period from about 1873 to 1880, I  note a growing number of
newspaper articles praising bananas, and discussing how easy it is to
grow them-- California farmers were already doing well with bananas,
according to a 28 June 1873 mention in a San Diego newspaper.  And while
some may have been for sale prior to 1873, this seems to be the year
when this fruit became more readily available in markets and shops.

Donna L. Halper, PhD
Associate Professor of Communication and Media Studies