[PW] History of the "Moose-Anana" Query

Kay Lancaster kay at hub.fern.com
Tue Apr 12 11:43:46 PDT 2016

Bananas for sale came to the US in 1804 from Cuba, on
schooners, so they've been around for awhile in US commerce,
though uncommon till about 1900, if I trust my plant breeding
class notes.  Pretty much confined to being irregularly available
in NY and Boston in the early 1800s.

I remember one of the stated goals of United Fruit was to bring
in bananas to the US market at prices "cheaper than apples".

As an aside, my husband lived in Trinidad and Barbados in the
early 1960s, and banana bunches were then still being carried on
shipboard on the backs of local workers, with a tallyman
attending to the count so they could be properly paid. (Hey, Mr.
Tallyman, tally me banana.)

Kay