[PW] Unknown Insect

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan9 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 14:55:19 PDT 2016

Hi All--

Without a picture, we have no real hope of identifying them.  There are
thousands of bee species in the US alone.

Metta,
Ivan

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Doug Anderson <andersdo at acdl.info> wrote:

> Might they be bees infected with DWV (deformed wing virus)?
>
> http://honeybeesuite.com/deformed-wing-virus/
>

> On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 3:58 PM, Luke Owens <lilongjr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi, everyone! This is for me, so there's no real hurry.
> >
> > I've been living in the Southern California desert for about four years
> now
> > and have a question about one of the insects I've been seeing.
> >
> > They are of a size, shape, and appearance as a honeybee, but they don't
> > fly. The wings are apparently vestigial. They seem to congregate in
> groups,
> > though sometimes wander off on their own. I don't know if they have hives
> > or not. I also don't know if they sting.
> >
> > Does anyone know about these things, at least what they're called? I can
> > take either a generic or species name and look them up, but I need at
> least
> > that much information.
> >
> > Thank you all in advance!
> >
> > Luke
> > Project Wombat - Project-Wombat-Open
> > list at project-wombat.org
> > http://www.project-wombat.org/
> >

> --
> NOTE: Our oplin.org email has been discontinued. Please update your
> contacts with this new email address: andersdo at acdl.info
> =============================
> Douglas Anderson, Reference Coordinator
> Ashtabula County District Library
> 335 W. 44th St.
> Ashtabula, OH 44004
> www.acdl.info

Ivan Van Laningham
God N Locomotive Works
http://www.pauahtun.org/
http://www.python.org/workshops/1998-11/proceedings/papers/laningham/laningham.html
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours