[PW] Unknown Insect

Luke Owens lilongjr at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 12:58:15 PDT 2016

Hi, everyone! This is for me, so there's no real hurry.

I've been living in the Southern California desert for about four years now
and have a question about one of the insects I've been seeing.

They are of a size, shape, and appearance as a honeybee, but they don't
fly. The wings are apparently vestigial. They seem to congregate in groups,
though sometimes wander off on their own. I don't know if they have hives
or not. I also don't know if they sting.

Does anyone know about these things, at least what they're called? I can
take either a generic or species name and look them up, but I need at least
that much information.

Thank you all in advance!

Luke