[PW] Stumped my local library ...

Mark Carson mahousu at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 18:47:57 PDT 2016

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 5:13 PM, Todd Mason <foxbrick at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hm. And I'll have to walk that back...Mandarin doesn't actually have
> indefinite articles, now that the brain is actually firing up the memory
> cells.

Well, it's sort of half true. In Chinese, you can use a "bare" measure word
(that is, without a number preceding it) in somewhat the same way as an
indefinite article - gè rén (个人) for "a man," as compared with yí gè rén
(一个人), "one man." But it's not really the same thing, nor is it nearly as
common a usage as indefinite articles in English.

Mark Carson     mahousu at gmail.com