[PW] Book of prayers from colonial era written in 1950s/1960s?

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Fri Mar 4 09:44:53 PST 2016

Klocek, Angela scripsit:

> Thanks everyone for your help.  I'll see if I can narrow it down
> more by Common prayer (would a prayer said during the constitutional
> convention be considered a common prayer?)

The Book of Common Prayer, which exists in many editions, is not a book
of prayers for various occasions: rather, it lays out what is said and
done during worship services in the Church of England / the Anglican
Church / the Episcopal Church.  It therefore corresponds to the Roman
Missal used by the Catholic Church.

It has influenced the order of services in many anglophone Protestant
denominations, and along with Shakespeare and the King James Version
is one of the three founding texts of Modern English.  It has contributed
many common phrases to the language, from "Speak now or forever hold
your peace" to "ashes to ashes, dust to dust" to "the world, the flesh,
and the devil".

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
Please leave your values at the front desk.
                --sign in Paris hotel
Check your assumptions.  In fact, check your assumptions at the door.
                --Cordelia Vorkosigan