[PW] ? Dates of Edward R. Murrow Signoff (Quotation Query #739)

John Henderson jhenderson at ithaca.edu
Thu Feb 18 10:38:02 PST 2016


For clarification:
The error was in the book, but it appears that the state was correct, and the city in error. At least, earlier in the biography, the author places Ida Lou Anderson in Colfax, Washington. She had been Edward R. Murrow's speech professor and mentor at Washington State University.

John Henderson
Ithaca College Library

________________________________________
From: Project-wombat <project-wombat-bounces at lists.project-wombat.org> on behalf of Luke Owens <lilongjr at gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 12:04 AM
To: list at project-wombat.org
Subject: Re: [PW] ? Dates of Edward R. Murrow Signoff (Quotation Query #739)

No, Jeff, what I meant is that both Oregon and Montana have cities/towns
named Corvallis, but no other state does.

Luke

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 8:21 PM, Jeff Imparato <JImparato at tscpl.org> wrote:

> Definitely Oregon. My Father-in-law worked in that city.
>
> Jeff
> ________________________________________
> From: Project-wombat <project-wombat-bounces at lists.project-wombat.org> on
> behalf of Luke Owens <lilongjr at gmail.com>
> Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 12:59 PM
> To: list at project-wombat.org
> Subject: Re: [PW] ? Dates of Edward R. Murrow Signoff (Quotation Query
> #739)
>
> No. Corvallis is a city in either Oregon or Montana. Washington State has
> no city or town of that name.
>
> Luke
>
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 9:22 AM, John Henderson <jhenderson at ithaca.edu>
> wrote:
>
> > According to <<Edward R Murrow, An American Original>>, by Joseph E.
> > Persico, 1988, on page 189:
> >
> > "On his Christmas Eve broadcast [of "This is London."] in 1940, Ed chose
> > not to say 'Merry Christmas." The phrase had virtually disappeared that
> > holiday season in England. Since the war, Londoners had started saying,
> 'So
> > long, and good luck.' And so he closed his broadcast, "Good night, and
> good
> > luck." Ida Lou Anderson [a listener from Corvallis, Washington] wrote to
> > him to stick with it, which he did for the rest of his broadcasting
> career."
> >
> >
> > John Henderson
> > Ithaca College Library
> >
> > ________________________________________
> > From: Project-wombat <project-wombat-bounces at lists.project-wombat.org>
> on
> > behalf of Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu>
> > Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 11:16 AM
> > To: list at project-wombat.org
> > Subject: [PW] ? Dates of Edward R. Murrow Signoff (Quotation Query #739)
> >
> > Can anyone supply any information about the beginning and ending dates of
> > Edward R. Murrow using his radio and television signoff "Good night, and
> > good luck"?
> >
> > Fred Shapiro
> > _______________________________________________
> > Project Wombat - Project-wombat
> > list at project-wombat.org
> > http://www.project-wombat.org/
> > _______________________________________________
> > Project Wombat - Project-Wombat-Open
> > list at project-wombat.org
> > http://www.project-wombat.org/
> >
> _______________________________________________
> Project Wombat - Project-wombat
> list at project-wombat.org
> http://www.project-wombat.org/
> _______________________________________________
> Project Wombat - Project-Wombat-Open
> list at project-wombat.org
> http://www.project-wombat.org/
>
_______________________________________________
Project Wombat - Project-wombat
list at project-wombat.org
http://www.project-wombat.org/


More information about the Project-Wombat-Open mailing list