[PW] Fw: ? Earliest Use of "Live Long and Prosper" (Quotation Query#740)

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Tue Feb 16 16:06:31 PST 2016

Sue Kamm scripsit:

> When the Kohenim (usually men with a surname of Cohen or names
> related) bless the congregation, they cover their heads with a
> tallit (prayer shawl) and hold their hands with the fingers spread
> beneath the tallit during the blessing.  I don't know if Leonard
> Nimoy was a Kohen.

I don't believe he was, but it was he who introduced the shin
(fingers-spread) blessing into _Star Trek_.  He was raised Orthodox and
saw the gesture at shul.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
Babies are born as a result of the mating between men and women,
and most men and women enjoy mating.
    --Isaac Asimov in Earth: Our Crowded Spaceship