[PW] ? Earliest Use of "Live Long and Prosper" (Quotation Query#740)

Wayne Wiens waynewiens at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 16 12:36:06 PST 2016

>From Wikipedia:

"Live long and prosper"

The accompanying spoken blessing, "live long and prosper" – "dif tor heh
smusma" in the Vulcan language (as spoken in Star Trek: The Motion
Picture) – also appeared for the first time in "Amok Time", scripted by
Theodore Sturgeon.[8] The less-well-known reply is "peace and long life",
though it is sometimes said first, with "live long and prosper" as the
reply. In science fiction, the phrase 'live long' first appeared in print in
1957 in Eric Frank Russell's science fiction novel Wasp where it was used
both as a greeting and as a farewell by a species of aliens called the
Sirians.[citation needed] The phrase has been seen abbreviated
"LLAP".[9][10][11]

This format is similar to common Middle Eastern greetings (Salaam alaykum in
Arabic and Shalom aleikhem in Hebrew), meaning "peace be upon you", and its
reply, "upon you be peace". An ancient Egyptian blessing "ankh wedja seneb",
while its verbatim translation is uncertain, uses the three symbols "life",
"prosperity" and "health"; it has been translated as "may he live, be
prosperous, be healthy."[12] The New International Version of the Bible,
Deuteronomy 5:33, includes the phrase "live and prosper" as part of Moses'
admonitions to the Hebrew people prior to entering Canaan; other
translations include the notion of long life as well.[13] William
Shakespeare's 1594 Romeo and Juliet contains the line, "Live and be
prosperous: and farewell good fellow", spoken by Romeo to Balthasar, his
friend and servant.[14][15] The benediction "live and prosper" is attributed
to the 18th-century organized crime figure Jonathan Wild in his 1725
biography written by "H.D.," possibly a pseudonym for Daniel Defoe.[16]

In Trilby, by George Du Maurier (published in 1894), a description of an art
student ends with the sentence, "May he live long and prosper!" [17]