[PW] ? Identity of "A Few Good Men" Coiner (Quotation Query #737)

S M Colowick januarye at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 09:35:02 PST 2016

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 9:19 AM, Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu> wrote:
> Here's one for the military historians.
>
> Marine Captain William Jones is said to have originated the U.S. Marines motto "a few good men" as follows:
>
> "The Continental ship Providence, now lying at Boston, is bound on a short cruise, immediately; a few good men are wanted to make up her complement."  Providence Gazette, Mar. 20, 1779
>
> Can anyone point me to biographical information about Jones, including birth and death dates, place of birth, occupation if any beyond being a Marine captain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Jones_(governor)

"William Jones (October 8, 1753 – April 9, 1822) was the eighth
Governor of Rhode Island from 1811 to 1817. He was a Federalist."

"In February 1778 Jones was commissioned as captain of Marines on
board the Providence and served until the end of the war."