[PW] ? A. J. Liebling Quote (Quotation Query #736)

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Sun Feb 14 10:46:54 PST 2016

Shapiro, Fred scripsit:

> A. J. Liebling is quoted in the New York Times, Nov. 10, 1980: "I can
> write faster than anyone who can write better and better than anyone
> who can write faster."  Can anyone point me to any earlier reference
> to Liebling or someone else employing this line?

I read a biography of Liebling once, saying that a good many of his bons
mots were uncheckable, because they were either published in obscure
newspapers that had gone out of business, or else they were merely oral.
It was probably _Wayward Reporter_ by Raymond Sokolov.  This book also
contains the quote (described as a "boast", which usually refers to oral
statements), and was apparently first published in 1980 as well.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
Ambassador Trentino: I've said enough. I'm a man of few words.
Rufus T. Firefly: I'm a man of one word: scram!    --Duck Soup