[PW] Need citations for quotes

S M Colowick januarye at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 05:49:12 PST 2016

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 8:39 AM, Shannon Teichmann
<sfox at austincollege.edu> wrote:
> Here's a question from one of our professors:
>
> The Internet is replete with claims that Leonardo da Vinci said, "The noblest of pleasures is the joy of understanding," but I have failed to find a citation for that line. Might you have time to have a look?

The earliest appearance I've found is in The Story of Philosophy by
Will Durant (1926): "...we shall spend our time with the saints and
martyrs of thought, letting their radiant spirit play about us until
perhaps we too, in some measure, shall partake of what Leonardo called
'the noblest pleasure, the joy of understanding.'" Unfortunately he
gives no citation. I haven't seen anything like this quote in any of
Leonardo's writings that I've found online, nor have I seen it
attributed to anyone else.