[PW] Short Story

Katherine Harper kharper4 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 16:17:17 PST 2015

Could this be Edna Ferber's "Every Other Thursday" (1926)? It follows a
stolid, not especially pretty Scandinavian servant on her half-day off,
which she spends cooking and cleaning for relatives, gossiping over coffee,
shopping, and attending a dance (where she is paid serious attention by a
potential beau).  She comes home well after dark and settles happily into
her bed with the thought that life is good: she will be content working
long hours until her next half-day off in two weeks. Meanwhile, the members
of the wealthy, self-involved American family who employ her are clucking
their tongues over her lateness and scoffing at the thought that she could
possibly find anything worthwhile to do beyond their housework.

The story is included in Ferber's collection *One Basket*. Whether or not
this is the one you're looking for, I highly recommend it.

Kathy

Katherine Harper, Ph.D.
Now accepting editing, writing, and research projects as *To the Letter
Editorial and Research Services*. Visit www.to-the-letter.net for details.