[PW] Short Story

Reynolds, Nancy nreynolds at coronado.ca.us
Fri Dec 11 16:46:51 PST 2015

I'm trying to find the title or author of a short story I read back in college.  It was about a pockmarked, not very bright maid (scullery maid?) who had been hired to work in a large household.  I can't remember the time frame but it could have been in the early part of the 20th century.  She was not treated well but at the end of the story she thought to herself how good life was.  The writing seemed D. H. Lawrence-y, but I'm no Lawrence expert, so maybe that's my imagination.  Thanks for any help you can provide!