[PW] Children's SF book or short story

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Wed Nov 18 05:33:01 PST 2015

Holly Campbell-Polivka scripsit:

> I did a google search and was able to find somebody else on a science
> fiction forum searching for what I believe may be the same book. The
> clue I got from that was that the person thinks the planet or world
> may be called something like Alpha.

Since Alpha Centauri is the closest star to the Sun, it's been used in
lots of sf novels, so that doesn't help much.

> I'm wondering if the author possibly could be
> Robert Silverberg, and if the story may be Revolt on Alpha C,

I'd say the description in Wikipedia rules that out: Alpha C is populated
by dinosaurs and human colonists.

> And suggestions I got from another listserv include: Dorsai novellas
> by Gordon R. Dickson;

I can rule that out.  The plot doesn't remotely match any of the Dorsai
novels, and in the Dorsai universe, there is no planet called Alpha;
the worlds orbiting Alpha Centauri are named Newton and Cassida.

> The Immortals of Mercury, by Clark Ashton Smith;

Smith's work is classic fantasy, and would be unlikely to feature a
computer.  The story you mention is online at
<http://www.eldritchdark.com/writings/short-stories/98/the-immortals-of-mercury>
and doesn't fit your plot at all.  Wash out Smith altogether.

> or Planet of Adventure stories, by Jack Vance.

No plot match, based on Wikipedia.  This plot doesn't sound anything
like Vance to me.

Sorry not to be more helpful, but negative evidence is still evidence.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
A rose by any other name may smell as sweet, but if you called it
an onion you'd get cooks very confused.          --RMS