[PW] story about woman in Italy arranging her own murder

Solomons1pal at aol.com Solomons1pal at aol.com
Sun Nov 15 18:51:09 PST 2015

Colleagues,

   A friend has bee haunted for years by a story she thinks she  read in
the New Yorker, but cannot otherwise identify,  She writes::
]

 The story takes place in Italy, a day in the life of a woman who  embarks
on a journey to a city (Milan?) where she goes through a series of  memora
ble transactions with people, and at the conclusion of which she has
negotiated her own murder. At least that's how I remember it. It's odd how I  can be
fuzzy about the details and yet it made such a strong impression on me.
Could it have been Muriel Spark? Does it ring a bell?

   Can anyone help name the story and the author?

                                Mark