[PW] Websites for kids

Timothy Cotsford tcotsford at acpe.edu.au
Thu Nov 12 17:51:35 PST 2015

We tell our students to look for things like .edu or .gov and to be aware that .com is a commercial site that may want to sell you something and even if .org is supposed to be non-profit, it isn't always or it may be funded by a party with a vested interest.
We also tell our students that if it is full of spelling and grammatical errors or has no date (or last updated 10 years ago) or if many of the urls  it links to are broken or go nowhere, it may not be the most reliable.

We direct our students to eg fifa.com when they want stuff about rules and governance and things about football (soccer). Oh hang on, possibly not the best example, they are currently being hit for all sorts of corruption and double dealing....

Common sense is still the best guide.

Cheers

Tim

Timothy Cotsford
Information Services Librarian
Australian College of Physical Education

Phone +61 2 9739 3367

tcotsford at acpe.edu.au
http://www.acpe.edu.au

1 Figtree Drive