[PW] Shape name of the peace symbol

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan9 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 13:04:58 PST 2015

The proper term for intersecting lines that fit within an equilateral
triangle is "triskelion."  The equilateral triangle need not be explicit
(as when the triskelion is inscribed within a circle).


On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 1:04 PM, T.J. Szafranski <tjszafranski at gmail.com>

> Can anyone help with this question - Thanks in advance.
> *I am trying to find the correct terminology to use for a shape where three
> lines intersect with consistent angular displacement, as in the Mercedes
> logo or the old "peace sign". If such a shape had four lines intersecting
> and with consistent angular displacement, it would be called "cruciform"
> for obvious reasons. I am thinking there must be an equivalent term for
> when only three lines intersect, but have not yet been able to find
> it......*
> I know a *chord* is a line segment ending on 2 sides of a circle, so you
> might get away with saying something like "circle with three visible
> chords," but perhaps there's something more official.
> --
> T.J. Szafranski
> _______________________________________________
> Project Wombat - Project-Wombat-Open
> list at project-wombat.org
> http://www.project-wombat.org/

Ivan Van Laningham
God N Locomotive Works
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours

More information about the Project-Wombat-Open mailing list