[PW] Request help tracing adage about war in Reader's Digest-- but wait, there's more!

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Sat Oct 24 10:37:04 PDT 2015

I don't know if this is related to the original request, but I have
noticed a variant on the expression (and it seems there are a few others
that other wombats have found).  I recently found a journal article from
1948 that asserted "War settles nothing. It unsettles everything."  The
earliest I can find such a quote is 9 April 1895, and not about war--
about a tax dispute decided by the Supreme Court. The newspapers
reporting on it, under the headline "It Settles Nothing," and the
article said the decision by the court settled nothing and unsettled
everything.  But by August 1931, there were newspaper articles using the
quote to say it was war that settled nothing and unsettled everything.
I'd be happy to provide proper citations for this version of the quote
if you think this is relevant to the original request.