[PW] Request help tracing Rebecca West quotation in 1928 Saturday Evening Post

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Thu Oct 22 12:01:39 PDT 2015

brian whatcott scripsit:

> There! It is settled then: the first reading is obfuscatory on its face
>  while the second is instead, provocatively revealing.

That's true, but does not count as a principle of textual evidence:  plenty
of people say very obvious things.  The principle is exhibited solely in
the fact that _interesting_ is a common word and _intersecting_ is not.

Quote Investigator didn't gain its more-than-stellar reputation by making
dubious assumptions about content.  (You could argue, indeed, that a
published misquotation is as good a quotation as any other quotation,
and should be treated as a legitimate version of the text, but I don't
go that far.)

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
You let them out again, Old Man Willow!
What you be a-thinking of?  You should not be waking!
Eat earth!  Dig deep!  Drink water!  Go to sleep!
Bombadil is talking.