[PW] Request help tracing Rebecca West quotation in 1928 Saturday Evening Post

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Thu Oct 22 06:05:34 PDT 2015

ADSGarson O'Toole scripsit:

> (1) There is no such thing as conversation. It is an illusion. There
> are interesting monologues, that is all.
>
> (2) There is no such thing as conversation. It is an illusion. There
> are intersecting monologues, that is all.

On the principle of _lectior difficilior potior_ [*], I suspect that #1
is textual corruption (even if it actually appeared in print), and that
#2 is the authentic reading.  But of course this remains to be proved,
if it ever can be.

Back in the 1980s, an Indian filmmaker was interviewed in _Cineaste_
magazine, who said that Satyajit Ray was viewed as a demagogue by the
younger generation of Indian filmmakers.  Some issues later, a letter
appeared from that same filmmaker, saying that he had been seriously
misquoted: the word heard as "demagogue" was in fact "demigod"!

[*] The more difficult reading is to be preferred, because it is more
likely for a difficult word to be changed to a more common one during
textual transmission than vice versa.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
MEET US AT POINT ORANGE AT MIDNIGHT BRING YOUR DUCK OR PREPARE TO FACE WUGGUMS