[PW] meaning helps in deciding which West quotation is authentic ...

Solomons1pal at aol.com Solomons1pal at aol.com
Thu Oct 22 08:29:31 PDT 2015

Colleagues,

   I think quotation 2 is the one West wrote, on the grounds that  it makes
sense, while quotation 1 does not.  The observation that our  monologues
are intersecting explains why they seem to amount to conversation,  while the
observation that they are interesting explains nothing, and would be
irrelevant even if it were true.

            Mark

In a message dated 10/22/15 6:06:23 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
cowan at mercury.ccil.org writes:

ADSGarson O'Toole scripsit:

> (1) There is no such thing  as conversation. It is an illusion. There
> are interesting monologues,  that is all.
>
> (2) There is no such thing as conversation. It  is an illusion. There
> are intersecting monologues, that is  all.

On the principle of _lectior difficilior potior_ [*], I suspect  that #1
is textual corruption (even if it actually appeared in print), and  that
#2 is the authentic reading.  But of course this remains to be  proved,
if it ever can be.

Back in the 1980s, an Indian filmmaker  was interviewed in _Cineaste_
magazine, who said that Satyajit Ray was  viewed as a demagogue by the
younger generation of Indian filmmakers.   Some issues later, a letter
appeared from that same filmmaker, saying that  he had been seriously
misquoted: the word heard as "demagogue" was in fact  "demigod"!

[*] The more difficult reading is to be preferred, because  it is more
likely for a difficult word to be changed to a more common one  during
textual transmission than vice versa.

John Cowan   http://www.ccil.org/~cowan       cowan at ccil.org
MEET US AT POINT ORANGE AT MIDNIGHT BRING YOUR DUCK  OR PREPARE TO FACE
WUGGUMS
Project Wombat -  Project-Wombat
list at project-wombat.org