[PW] Spanish version of the short story Pancake by Joan Bauer

Debbie Hills debbie.hills at columbuscsd.org
Tue Oct 20 10:38:23 PDT 2015

Great advice.
Thanks

From: Project-Wombat <project-wombat-bounces at lists.project-wombat.org> on behalf of John Cowan <cowan at mercury.ccil.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2015 11:57 AM
To: list at project-wombat.org
Subject: Re: [PW] Spanish version of the short story Pancake by Joan Bauer

Debbie Hills scripsit:

> Our ESL teacher is trying to help his students understand the story,
> but is finding it difficult because of the English words that are used
> by Bauer.

A useful thing would be to prepare a list of the words the students are
having trouble with, along with a reference to their context in the story.
A native speaker would be able to annotate them with suitable equivalents.

> I'm a little leery of the translation sites b/c I'm never sure if the
> translation is accurate.... especially since I don't speak Spanish.

Never, never use machine translation with anything resembling literature.
It's best to use it only when you want the general gist of a passage,
you are a native speaker of the language being translated into, and you
know something about the subject matter (so you can be appropriately
skeptical about the results).

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
'Tis the Linux rebellion / Let coders take their place,
The Linux-nationale / Shall Microsoft outpace,
We can write better programs / Our CPUs won't stall,
So raise the penguin banner of / The Linux-nationale.  --Greg Baker
Project Wombat - Project-Wombat
list at project-wombat.org