[PW] Request help tracing adage about war in Reader's Digest

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 03:32:31 PDT 2015

Thanks to Donna Halper for locating and sharing the 2013 citation that
misattributed the saying to Winston Churchill. Donna is acknowledged
in the article on this topic now available on the Quote Investigator
website.

War Does Not Determine Who Is Right -- Only Who Is Left
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2015/10/10/war-not/

With some perseverance I was able to access key issues in volume 20 of
"The Reader's Digest" and determine that the saying was printed in
February 1932. Shortly afterward in April 1932 the political activist
Jessie Woodrow Wilson Sayre included the saying in a speech.

Feedback and pertinent citations welcome,
Garson