[PW] question about a quote

Michael J. Lowrey orangemike at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 12:39:23 PDT 2015

Speaking as an escaped Southerner (including some time in Mississippi) I am
inclined to read this as describing someone who is irrevocably gone from a
place, perhaps even subject to persecution or worse if they were foolish or
bold enough to return, yet who is nonetheless deeply and ineradicably OF
that place to which they cannot return, rather than becoming in any but the
most superficial sense OF the place(s) in which they are now sojourners.

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 2:30 PM, Kevin O'Kelly <rkokelly at gmail.com> wrote:

> Willie Morris,  a Mississippian who was briefly editor of Harper's,
> remarked that Mississippi is the only American state that has produced
> "exiles in the European sense."
>
> If anyone is willing to share their opinion as to what that means, I would
> like to know what you think.
>
> --

Michael J. "Orange Mike" Lowrey

"When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and
clothes."
     --  Desiderius Erasmus