[PW] Request help tracing adage about war in Reader's Digest

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Fri Oct 2 00:07:16 PDT 2015

On 10/2/2015 2:12 AM, ADSGarson O'Toole wrote:
> W0mbats: Your aid is requested for the exploration of an adage about
> war attributed to Bertrand Russell. Here are two versions:
>
> War does not determine who is right - only who is left.
> War doesn't show who's right just who's left

And of course, we find this attribution: "Following the Great War of
1914-18, Winston Churchill said, "War does not determine who is right --
only who is left." That claim is recent, from a Canadian newspaper, the
Winnipeg Free Press, in September 2013, and I have no idea where they
got the idea that Churchill said it.  Seems a number of of newspapers
have used this quote over the past few years... I found it turning up
regularly beginning in the 1932-1933 period, but without any attribution.