[PW] ?How is a 277 Volt Lighting System Wired in Series to Turn On a Large Group of Fluorescent Light Fixtures Wired in Series?

Peter Zilahy Ingerman, PhD pzi at ingerman.org
Wed Sep 30 14:12:45 PDT 2015

 From a PE/EE friend ...

"A 277 V lighting system is derived from the three phases of a 480 V
(between phase conductors) electrical system.  Every lamp ballast is fed
from one of the phases with respect to neutral, hence 277 V.

The three phase conductors may run all together through a raceway, or
they may be routed in three different directions.  Either way, each
ballast is connected between one phase conductor and the (common)
neutral conductor.  Typically every third ballast in an installation is
fed from the same phase.

The ballast acts as a transformer whose primary is 277 V and whose
secondary is the (higher) voltage needed to strike an arc in the lamp.
All lamp ballasts fed from any given phase and the neutral are in
parallel, not in series.

The extra wires on the ballasts are transformer taps such that the same
ballast can be installed for different voltage systems by selecting the
appropriate tap.  The labeling on the ballast will show its wiring
schematically.

Do not mess with 277 V wiring unless you know what you are doing. Be
sure the frames of all ballasts are connected to the equipment ground
conductor; this is a different wire than the neutral conductor, and
people sometimes confuse them.. "