[PW] Request help tracing Isaac Asimov quotation about UFOs

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 11:45:56 PDT 2015

Great thanks to Marci Frederick and Catherine Wilterding who accessed
the Science Digest issue and scanned the pertinent pages. The
quotation was on page 46 and not on page 146.

I have seen this problem several times before. The difference between
the correct page number and the Google Books (GB) page number has been
exactly 100. Hence, if you are trying to locate a matching snippet on
paper and it is not visible on the GB page number then it is worth
looking at nearby pages and at pages that differ by 100.

I've encountered another type of page number error in GB. Sometimes GB
does not reset the page counter properly when it is processing a new
issue within a single volume. The page counter continues to increase
as if the new issue has been tacked on to the previous issue.

Thanks also to Linda Corets who found a 1966 Seattle Times article
that mentioned a televised panel discussion with Asimov about the
possibility of intelligent life on other planets. The panel also
apparently discussed predictions for future technologies. That would
be fun to watch today.

Garson O'Toole
QuoteInvestigator.com