[PW] Madams Western U.S. Late 19th Century

d-lien University of Minnesota d-lien at umn.edu
Fri Sep 11 15:03:22 PDT 2015

Canadian West rather than American West, but perhaps of use anyway:
chapter 3 in this book

Title: Working girls in the West
representations of wage-earning women / Author(s): McMaster, Lindsey,
1972-  Publication: Vancouver : UBC Press, Year: 2008

Also, "Madeleine" spent some time in Montana (and in Missouri, if that
counts as the West), though again her career peaked in Canada (always
assuming her autobiography is for real and not a hoax; opinions
apparently differ):

http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/madeleine/madeleine/madeleine.html

You may have already suggested these.  I don't know if the
bibliographic references would lead to findable primary sources, but
worth a look?

Title: Upstairs girls :
prostitution in the American West /
Author(s): Rutter, Michael, 1953-
 Publication: Helena, MT : Farcountry Press,
Year: 2005
Standard No: ISBN: 1560373571; 9781560373575 Other: 2253498; LCCN:
2005-3322

Abstract: "Discusses the history of prostitution in the American West,
including: the moral purity movement, madams, Chinese sex trade,
prostitutes who followed the railroad, mining camps, and military
posts. Offers profiles on 14 prostitutes and madams"--Provided by
publisher. Contents: Part I. The bawdy women of the West: an inside
look at the world's oldest profession -- What's a nice girl like you
doing in a place like this?: why women joined the Sisterhood -- The
world's oldest profession thrives in the West: the Sisterhood, from
parlor girls to street walkers -- Shady ladies on the move: railroads,
mining camps, and military posts -- The Chinese sex trade: little more
than slaves -- The madams: hearts of gold, knuckles of brass --
Occupational hazards: physical abuse, pregnancy, addiction, and
venereal disease -- Part II. The other Western women: the dancers and
the reformers -- The dancing girls: hurdy gurdy, dancehall, and saloon
girls -- The moral purity movement: patrolling the borders of decency
-- Part III. Profiles on prostitutes: the ladies of the night -- Fanny
Porter: the madam with a heart of gold -- Julia Bulette: the Comstock
courtesan -- Laura Bullion: Wild Bunch camp follower -- Ah Toy: a
"daughter of joy" on the Barbary Coast -- Mattie Silks: the queen of
the Denver red light district -- Annie Rogers: a soiled dove living
the high life with Kid Curry -- Big Nose Kate: life on her own terms
-- Calamity Jane: Martha Jane in jeans -- Poker Alice: a gambler, a
madam, a bootlegger -- Pearl Starr: prostitute daughter of Belle Starr
-- "Chicago Joe" Hensley: the Irish madam -- Mary Ellen "Mammy"
Pleasant: mother of civil rights, and a California madam -- Rosa May:
a working girl until the end -- Madame Moustache: the gambling madam
-- Creative professional names. Access: Materials specified: Table of
contents http://catdir.loc.gov/catdir/toc/ecip057/2005003322.html
SUBJECT(S) Descriptor: Prostitution -- West (U.S.) -- History -- 19th
century.
Prostitutes -- West (U.S.) -- Biography.
Procuresses -- West (U.S.) -- Biography.
Procuresses.
Prostitutes.
Prostitution.
Prostitution.  Genre/Form: Biography.
History.
Note(s): Includes bibliographical references (pages 209-211) and index.

Title: The madams of San Francisco;
an irreverent history of the city by the Golden Gate.
Author(s): Gentry, Curt, 1931-2014.
Publication: Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday,
Edition: [1st ed.]. Year: 1964 Description: xii, 323 pages 22 cm
Language: English
Contents: Part One. El Dorado 1848-1859. The myth of the fair but
frail Amazons -- Neither wives, widows, nor maids -- The Countess,
Irene McCready, and the respectables -- Ah Toy: the girl in the green
silk pantaloons -- The lottery of the golden ingots -- Belle Cora: the
beautiful bad -- Belle and the vigilantes -- Belle and the scandal
sheets -- Part Two. More gilt and red plush 1860-1949. Madame
Moustache: pioneer of the parlor house circuit -- Dolly Adams: the
original girl in the fishbowl -- Maud Nelson Fair: W.R. Hearst misses
a train -- Jessie Hayman: San Francisco's other fire -- Tessie Wall:
"I shot him 'cause I love him, G- D- him!" -- Maude Spencer and Reggie
Gamble: bright lights go out tonight -- Dolly Fine: where's the lady
in red? -- Sally Stanford: madame councilwoman. Standard No: LCCN:
64-11752 SUBJECT(S) Descriptor: Prostitution -- California -- San
Francisco.
Manners and customs.
Prostitution.
Geschichte.
Prostitution.  Geographic: San Francisco (Calif.) -- Social life and customs.
California -- San Francisco.
San Francisco (Calif.)  Note(s): Includes bibliographical references
(pages 316-323).

Dennis Lien / d-lien at umn.edu