[PW] Madams Western U.S. Late 19th Century

Barbara Schmidt schmidtbrb at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 13:06:39 PDT 2015

I might suggest the short biography THE LEGEND OF JULIA BULETTE AND THE RED
LIGHT LADIES OF NEVADA by Douglas McDonald.  There are a number of
newspaper articles about Julia Bulette's murder in 1867 in the online
California Digital Newspaper collection which is a free access database.

As a side note, ancestry.com allows searches of censuses on keywords.  If
one searches for "prostitute", the 1880 census brings up 4,723 hits.  Using
just these search results one can pull data such as age, location, and
country of origin (many Chinese).

Barb