[PW] Request Mag of Fantasy and SF 1962: Quote: That's not writing--that's type-writing!" Truman Capote

d-lien University of Minnesota d-lien at umn.edu
Wed Sep 9 10:24:10 PDT 2015

Andy Sawyer isn't on this list, but I am on another list with him, and
as it happens I have donated some of his wantlisted items to the
Science Fiction Foundation library, though they were duplicates I
could find cheaply in the local sf speciality shops rather than unique
items from my own collection.  (Though alas, given the price of
international postage, even stuff I can buy (or use trade credit on)
"cheaply" is far from cheap when an airmail M-bag is figured in -- but
it's in a good cause, and partially at least deductible on my taxes.)

As Bernard Peek notes, the value of old sf magazines has drastically
declined in recent years; so much for any vague thought I ever had of
such forming a nest egg for my retirement.  (Fortunately I nested
enough egg anyway, so that's not a problem.)    And since I'm a
text-oriented reader (and in a minor way scholar) rather than a
high-rolling investor, a lot of my magazines are fair to good reading
copies, and almost none of them are the near-mint items that still
make (some) collectors saliva

Dennis Lien / d-lien at umn.edu