[PW] Lost book: story of gods/deities creating a world then assign a boy to name everything in that world

Michael M professional_47 at mailforce.net
Tue Aug 4 18:54:05 PDT 2015

Hello,

I was referred by a librarian at the Monterey Public library to post my
inquiry here:

I am trying to identify a 'Creation myth' story I read from childhood
that seems to stump Library of Congress librarians and local librarians.
I've also used reddit, Abebooks booksleuth, Loganberry books bookfinder,
goodreads forums, and more.

The story begins with many gods/deities in the universe that have just
finished creating a world, and they are quarrelling amongst each other
because no object or creature in the world was given a name yet. So the
deities decide to create a boy (or assign a boy, I don't remember
exactly how they pick the boy) in the newly created world the task of
naming everything for them. Thus, the boy goes on many adventures
travelling to distant places and giving names to everything.

So for example, if the boy came across an object or creature, he would
ask the gods "What is this called?" and they would respond something
like "That's up to you to decide" along those lines.

The author could have had influence or have been inspired by foreign
creation stories/myths/legends (Indian/Arabic, possibly
Greek/Persian/Chinese?). It is also possible that the book could have
been translated into English from another language.

The copy I had was a hardback may have had a dustjacket, color was
offwhite with decent spine thickness ((roughly 5/5.5 x 8" dimensions,
about .5" thick). It was published before 1998, and could be from any
decade before the 90s. The cover was colorful, featuring an illustrated
image of the boy looking down on a cloud, with short black hair, wearing
white (his eyes are looking downward) with a celestial background I've
drawn an image from memory of the cover. It may not be 100% but I know
for sure the boy had black hair and was featured on the cover. The gods
may have been elemental gods (god of wind, thunder, etc), so you will
notice lightning, wind, and little details to represent the elements.
Backdrop is celestial, featuring the moon, stars, etc.
http://i.stack.imgur.com/VMHLh.jpg

Thank you,
Michael

--