[PW] Carlos Santana Quote

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Thu Jul 30 18:02:19 PDT 2015

On 7/30/2015 6:18 PM, sakishler at aol.com wrote:
> I have seen it attributed it to him online several times but am unsure of the source. One poster credited it to a
> book called Jabberrock that is a collection of famous rock and roll quotes, but I have not been able to access that book

It can be downloaded as a PDF (according to one file-sharing site I
found), but I'm not sure it will help you-- as you surmised, most of the
quotes in Jabberrock (which was originally published in 1997) are either
undated or unsourced (based on what critics said), plus the authors
advertised itself as a book of humorous and irreverent quotes.  That
said, I have found a number of places (in Rolling Stone interviews, for
example) where Carlos Santana said things that were similar to your
quote, but not that exact phrasing, leading me to wonder whether it's
not really his words after all.  I have many rock quote books in my
collection, so let me see if I can locate this one.  Meanwhile, you were
wise to check, since the internet is famous for requoting fake or
questionable quotes. You may want to check several of Santana's Rolling
Stone interviews, which may have some positive quotes that you CAN use,
in the event that none of us can verify this one.

Donna L. Halper, friendly media historian
Associate Professor of Communication
Lesley University, Cambridge MA