[PW] Jules Verne in Braille in the 1940s

Bristol Library bplref at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 16:34:18 PDT 2015

A patron has read All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr and has some
questions about anachronisms in the book.  I was able to find that spiral
binding did exist pre WWII as did some forms of air conditioning.  However,
I haven't been able to confirm that a copy of Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues
Under the Sea would have been available to a non-wealthy family. I tried to
find some information on the Royal Institute for the Blind as I knew they
were the first to print a book in Braille, but the better sites seem to be
in French.

Enlightenment is sought!

TIA,
Jeanne