[PW] ? "Come with Me to the Casbah" (Quotation Query #731)

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 19:45:57 PDT 2015

I performed a preliminary search back in 2010 and found evidence
showing usage of the phrase in 1944, but not earlier.

I looked at several clips from Algiers on YouTube trying to locate the
expression, but none of the clips contained the expression. Yet, I do
not remember if I was able to find the trailer online in previous
years.

In the following clip of intimacy the word "Casbah" was said by Lamarr
and not Boyer.

Algiers - Hedy Lamarr & Charles Boyer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYN27_JDDMU

[Begin transcription]
Boyer:  Suppose you don't come tomorrow?
Lamarr: Suppose I don't; Can't you ever get away from the Casbah?
Boyer:  Why do you ask?
Lamarr: Can't you?
Boyer:  No. I am caught here. . .
[End transcription]

If the phrase really was used in the trailer in 1938 then somehow its
popularity was delayed until 1944. I think that would have been odd.

In the excerpt below "weary" was misspelled as "wearly".

[ref] 1944 May 31, Cleveland Plain Dealer, Main Street Meditations by
Eleanor Clarage, Quote Page 7, Column 3, Cleveland, Ohio.
(GenealogyBank)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
Are you, too, getting just a little wearly of all those bad imitations
of Charles Boyer, beginning: "Come with me to the Casbah ...?"
[End excerpt]

[ref] 1944 November 23, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Tricks For Teens by
Nancy Pepper, Quote Page 19, Column 4, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
(Google News Archive)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
Also--When a boy asks a girl to have a coke at the soda fountain, he's
liable to hiss, "Come with me to the Casbah."
[End excerpt]

Some variant phrases I've seen:
Come with me to the Casbah
Let me take you to the Casbah