[PW] Martian Manhunter

d-lien University of Minnesota d-lien at umn.edu
Wed Jun 17 12:25:27 PDT 2015

The picture of J'onn on that Wikipedia page is a more "modern"
rendition, and as you say doesn't look much like the J'onn of 1955 and
of the 1960s (iin his own strip or in JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA), when
he was a much greener green and generally blockier (for lack of a
better word).

I don't recall if he ever got a DETECTIVE STORIES cover, but he
appears in his original style on JLA covers such as

http://www.comics.org/issue/15487/cover/4/

http://www.comics.org/issue/15861/#126404

http://www.comics.org/issue/15992/#127108

perhaps his most famous single story:

http://www.comicvine.com/justice-league-of-america-71-and-so-my-world-ends/4000-10184/

Does he ring any more of a bell there?

**********
On the "mother throwing out comics" trope, at least you have some one
to blame.  My folks never threw away my comics (though they may have
been tempted), but around 1960 or 1961 a fast-talking guy convinced
fifteen-year-old me to sell him almost all of
virtually-complete-Silver Age  DC comics collection for a tiny
fraction of what, even then, it was worth.  (I had decided I had moved
beyond comics yadda yadda yadda).  And then in early 1962 I randomly
discovered Marvel Comics, and was hooked all over again.  I bought
almost all of them (and occasional duplicates for investment purposes)
up until the early 1980s, along with a few DC titles, and in 1988 sold
them for the financing to buy our house (and a year or two later the
bottom largely dropped out of the market, I believe).  So, no parent
throwing away comics, but me selling them myself -- no one else to
blame.  (The first time foolishly to my later regret; the second time
wisely -- in retrospect -- to only occasional twinges of regret.)

Dennis Lien / d-lien at umn.edu