[PW] George Bernard Shaw quote?

Mark Carson mahousu at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 13:22:02 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 2:57 PM, ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Here is information from a match in GB. The key quotation appears
> between the quotation marks. This seems to a quote from Pirandello in
> the original Italian. (I cannot read Italian, so I am using Google
> translate). Unfortunately, the snippet GB displays is blank. There are
> probably OCR errors in the text.
>
> Tempo presente - Volume 12 - Page 63
> https://books.google.com/books?id=WvO99_UrY-UC&
> (GB matches must be verified on paper)
>
> [Begin extracted text]
> Nicola Chiaromonte, ‎Ignazio Silone - 1967 - ‎Snippet view
> Ovvero, per dirla con le parole finali di uno degli ultimi drammi di
> Pirandello, Trovarsi, al punto in cui « questo è vero e niente è vero.
> La sola verità è che bisogna creare se stessi, crearsi. Solo allora,
> ci si trova ». La questione, naturalmente, è
> [End extracted text]

Interesting, that the quote there is a bit different from the actual text
in the play. Perhaps the author was just quoting from memory? Google Books
has snippet views from two different editions (it says four, but two of
them just look like reprints), and both agree on the wording I posted a
little while ago, viz.;

E questo è vero... E non è vero niente... Vero è soltanto che bisogna
crearsi, creare! E allora soltanto, ci si trova.

Literally, this is something like: "And this is true ... And nothing is
true ... The only truth is [one] must create oneself, to create! And only
so, does one find oneself."

Incidentally, "ci si trova" isn't normally "find yourself" in the 60's
touchy-feely sense. It's more like "is found, is found to be, is located,"
or just "is." So, "io mi ci trovo molto bene," is "I've found it very
pleasant," or "I'm fine with it."

Here, however, "ci si trova" does seem to mean something closer to "finding
oneself," or perhaps "collecting oneself." The main character, Donata
Genzi, is a famous actress, who so loses herself in her roles that she has
no idea who she is any more. So she must find herself ("trovarsi") somehow.
At the end of the play, she kicks everyone else out, and goes through a
long monologue, ending with the lines above.

Here's a copy of the full play, online, in Italian:
http://www.classicitaliani.it/pirandel/drammi/39_pira_trovarsi.htm

Mark Carson     mahousu at gmail.com