[PW] New York Times Article About Earliest Use of Term "African-American"

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Tue Apr 21 16:40:31 PDT 2015

Carolyn Haley scripsit:

> I particularly like the phrase "the sable race." Which made me
> wonder... what would be a good equivalent for white folks? Is there
> any non-albino animal that's white all the time, vs. changing coat
> with the seasons to blend into its background (such as ermine,
> snowshoe hare, ptarmigan)?

The polar bear comes to mind, not only for its appearance but for its
aggressiveness.  Dr. Google suggests the Honduran white bat as another
example.

> The snowy egret race? :-)

Swans, of course.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
They tried to pierce your heart with a Morgul-knife that remains in
the wound.  If they had succeeded, you would become a wraith under the
domination of the Dark Lord.         --Gandalf