[PW] New York Times Article About Earliest Use of Term "African-American"

Carolyn Haley dcma at vermontel.net
Tue Apr 21 15:03:05 PDT 2015

>On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 10:25 AM, Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu>
>wrote:
>
> > There's an article in the New York Times today about my discovery of the
> > earliest known use of the term "African-American":

Very interesting; thank you for sharing.

I particularly like the phrase "the sable race." Which made me
wonder... what would be a good equivalent for white folks? Is there
any non-albino animal that's white all the time, vs. changing coat
with the seasons to blend into its background (such as ermine,
snowshoe hare, ptarmigan)?

The snowy egret race? :-)

--Carolyn