[PW] Quote: The very existence of libraries affords the best evidence that we may yet have hope for the future of man. (Attributed to T.S. Eliot)

Barbara Schmidt schmidtbrb at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 05:17:37 PDT 2019

Garson,

Good work from you and Katherine on tracking this down.  The thought also
occurred to me that this attribution to Eliot might have been to the wrong
Eliot and perhaps originated with Charles William Eliot, a former president
of Harvard and editor of the “Five Foot Shelf”. I believe Charles Eliot had
a son named Thomas.  And he was also related to T. S. Eliot. But I was
unable to verify such a quote originated from this branch of the family.

Barb