[PW] Parallel texts

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan9 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 07:43:05 PDT 2019

Scrivener does this, and apparently well, too; I don't use it for that, but
for everything I need Scrivener is a remarkable tool. I have dumped Word,
WordPerfect, Star Office, and writing in HTML in favor of Scrivener, which
allows you to export to a large number of formats.

I lucked into a lifetime license for $40 (prices may be higher now);
compare that to Word/Office at $99 per year.

I have yet to find something that Scrivener cannot do.  My only complaints
are 1) that documentation is, frankly, sucky, so you spend a lot of time
googling; and 2) some few tasks are (presently) Mac only. This is because
the software was developed on the Mac and Windows versions lag behind.

Metta,
Ivan

On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 12:10 AM Kay Lancaster <kay at hub.fern.com> wrote:

> On Monday 2019-06-10 13:24, Bales, Stephen E wrote:
>
> > I have a patron who is working on a project where the research report
> needs to be displayed as parallel texts, with a text on one page and
> commentary on the facing page and as footnotes (like a parallel bible). He
> wants to know if writers have a preferred program for this type of work.
> The only thing that I can find is MS Word. Any suggestions?
>
> I *believe*, though I have not verified, you can use the same
> techniques as mentioned here for Microsoft Word
> >
> https://www.datanumen.com/blogs/3-effective-ways-create-two-separate-columns-word-document/
> >
> for LibreOffice, which is free: https://www.libreoffice.org/
>
> I don't do much with fancy formatting now, but used to with a
> much older version of Libre Office wp program. This program grew
> out of Star Office, and is designed to be compatible with MS
> Word.
>
> I have only used it on Linux OSs, but apparently it will run on
> Windows 7 and newer or Mac OS-X 10.8 or newer:
>
> https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/?type=mac-x86_64&version=6.2.4&lang=en-US
>
> Kay Lancaster kay at fern.com

Ivan Van Laningham
God N Locomotive Works
http://www.pauahtun.org/
http://www.python.org/workshops/1998-11/proceedings/papers/laningham/laningham.html
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours