[PW] Help finding poem (Lost military pilot contrasting his future mundane businessman life with death)

Jan Brekke, MD jbrekke at applerad.com
Fri Jun 7 06:51:26 PDT 2019

Hello,

I am new to this forum and hope that this is a reasonable request. I am trying to find the name/author of a poem that I read in high school back in the 1980's. The poem described a long lost fighter pilot who was found years after the war dead in his plane (I believe in the jungle, perhaps SE Asia). The poet then contrasted his death with what his potential boring future life would have been - clutching his briefcase on the train to work, etc.

Any help appreciated.

TIA

Jan