[PW] Old, old edition of The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins

Judith Copek jcopek at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 13:14:59 PST 2018

Someone at DorothyL directed  me to this group.

I have an ancient edition of The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins. A couple of
pages are missing from the front of the book, namely publisher and date.
"Catskill" is on the spine, and I am assuming that is the publisher.  I
found another refereence to Catskill for an 1899 book.  I am assuming the
publisher is American.  The only other clue is a name and an address on the
inside cover.  W.A. French, 59 Crawford Street, Boston.  This is now the
Roxbury neighborhood of the city and a web search  turned up a Roxbury Hill
Neighborhood  association as the owner, but no phone number, etc., and I
think that entity may be defunct.  There's a photo of a large house
obscurred by trees. Big and old. The penmanship is of the lovely
old-fashioned kind that one never sees anymore.   I have emailed the
Roxbury Historical Society to try to find out if they know anything about
the ownership of the house, a date range that might give me a rough clue as
to when the novel was published.  As you can see, I am grasping at straws,
as a great deal of "Googling" has produced nothing in the way of a date for
this novel.
I want to donate it to a charity auction, but currently have no idea as to
the value.
Any help will be appreciated.
TIA,
Judith Copek